Origins

I grew up in a small Ohio town, and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by, I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married, the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school, but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school, it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and on our Iowa One Room Schools blog. :oD Jill

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Springfield Township, OH

On 5/23/05, we visited my aunt near South Vienna.  She lives on Old Columbus Road, on which we found this school on the NE corner of Grant Rd, east of Springfield.  The stone above the door reads:  "Sub. Dist. No. 3, 1862, Springfield Township."

No comments:

Post a Comment